Dark Shadows Special 2011 is a podcast produced by Big Finish Productions. It was released for free as an audio download in September 2011.
- The format of the 'dramatic readings'.
- An overview of the original series.
- Jumping on points for new listeners: The Blind Painter and The Creeping Fog
- David Selby
- Roger Davis
- Roy Thinnes
- Alec Newman
- Nancy Barrett
- Mark Thomas Passmore
- The budget and logistics of producing the range.
- Finding new writers.
- Continuing the soapy vibe of the original series.
- The Lost Girl
- Nigel Fairs
- The Trask Family
- Christopher Pennock
- Parallel Time
- Bringing previously usused original series actors and characters to the range.
- Developing original characters.
- The Carrion Queen
Background information and notesEdit
- Running Time: 46:23
- Included at the end of this podcast is the first part of The House of Despair, a trailer for this release opens the podcast.
- James Goss likens the original series to Ghost Light, a 1989 Doctor Who serial with gothic overtones similar to the setup found in Dark Shadows. He also likens the I-Ching, a concept used in the original series, to Warriors Gate, a 1981 Doctor Who serial which also features the concept. These references are due to Big Finish Productions main listenership and center of output being predominantly related to the Doctor Who series. James Goss and Joseph Lidster have both written several Doctor Who audio plays for Big Finish Productions.