Barnabas Collins (1770-1830) was the wealthy owner of the original Collinwood estate known as the Old House. He married Josette DuPres and had a child with her named Bramwell.
- In the 1841 parallel time continuity, Barnabas Collins never became a vampire, and enjoyed a happy life with Josette – a life he never came to know in the mainstream continuity. Although Barnabas was wealthy when he married Josette, his fortune dwindled and he died almost penniless.
- Barnabas and Josette had another son who supposedly died in Peru. In 1970 parallel time, Barnabas of the other time-line claimed to be his descendant.
- Barnabas Collins had died by the time of the 1841 parallel time reality, and has never made an appearance in the original Dark Shadows television series.
- The parallel time Barnabas is referenced at the end of the Leviathan storyline, as the Barnabas from our universe is drawn into parallel time. He is also referred to during the 1841 parallel time storyline (1238).
- William Loomis wrote a biography of Barnabas Collins. It was a copy of this book that crossed into "real time", leading Barnabas into the parallel time reality. The book was Loomis' final work.