|← 772 →|
June 3, 1969
|We have 21 images of Dark Shadows 772|
- The year is 1897, the place is Collinwood, the time is an hour before dawn, a precious hour for Barnabas Collins. For Barnabas, afraid that his secret will be discovered has turned an enemy into a vampire, a vampire, who when he is caught, will leave Barnabas free to perform his mission in the past. But the vampire has disappeared and Barnabas knows he must be found.
Carl arrives at the Old House, looking for Pansy. Barnabas claims he doesn't know where she is. Carl later goes to the school where he asks Charity if she's seen her. Charity denies it and tells the distraught Carl that he must have faith.
Charity goes to see Tim, and finds him deeply involved in his translation work for Evan Hanley. He barely acknowledges Charity, much to her concern. Later on she arrives with a message from Evan, and finds Tim in the midst of a nightmare. He tells his frightened fiancee that all will be well once he finishes the assignment. He opens the message which reads "Queen of Spades" and becomes agitated. Minerva Trask soon arrives and sends Charity away to attend to her students. Tim is very short with Minerva and finally yells for her to get out. She leaves the room in amazement.
Carl returns to the Old House, still very upset over his failure to find Pansy. He hears Pansy singing but can not find her. Barnabas walks in. Carl asks Barnabas about Pansy. Barnabas continues to deny knowing where she is.
Back at the school, Minerva asks Charity what she thinks of Carl Collins. Charity responds that she never thinks of him. Minerva tells her that she should start, as Tim is not someone she finds worthy of her daughter's hand. Charity confesses that she is not in love with Tim - although she is fond of him, but that there is someone else she would rather marry, Barnabas.
Minerva calls Tim in and Charity officially ends their engagement. Tim barely blinks at the news, obviously having other things on his mind. Minerva takes out a deck of playing cards and deals them. Tim sees the Queen of Spades and gives her the poison in the cup.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Carl: Weird things are always happening around this place.
- Tim: Just let me alone to do what I have to do.
- Minerva: Apologies are the devil's invention. They just cover evil behavior.
- Minerva: (to Charity) Be practical, fall in love with Carl Collins.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins
- Nancy Barrett as Charity Trask
- Clarice Blackburn as Mrs. Minerva Trask
- John Karlen as Carl Collins
- Don Briscoe as Timothy Shaw
- Kay Frye as Pansy Faye
Background information and notes Edit
- GHOSTWATCH: Carl hears Pansy's voice.
- INTERNAL MONOLOGUE: Tim: It must happen tonight.
- TIMELINE: The narration states it to be an hour before dawn at the start of this episode and at the end of the previous. 5am: Carl leaves the Old House. Tim has been up all night, he is to kill Minerva tonight. Tim has been working for Evan for the "past few weeks". It was yesterday when Pansy sang for Barnabas, (i.e. the early hours of this day). 8:10pm: Minerva plays cards. It was this morning when Tim and Minerva has an altercation.
- Barnabas buries Pansy Faye in a shallow grave saying: "Rest in Peace."
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- In the reprise, there is a rope around Pansy's neck and a small trickle of blood. At the end of the previous episode there was no rope -- only fang marks. Unfortunately, there's simply no way to make sense of this; after Pansy is attacked by a bat in 771, there are only two possible suspects: Barnabas and Dirk. Barnabas would seem to be the likely culprit, after almost being named as Dirk's killer by Pansy, yet it is Barnabas who is shocked to discover her body at the Old House. That leaves Dirk, who surely would have bitten Pansy rather than strangle her. (It's possible that no one realized until after the taping of 771 was completed that the logical next step after Pansy was found dead with fang marks on her neck would have been for her to rise as a vampire. Obviously, this was not what Dan Curtis and the writers had planned, so the scene was retconned, probably with the belief -- which was prevalent at the time -- that it would be quickly forgotten about and never seen again.)
- A boom microphone can be seen over Tim's head as Charity enters with the coffee.
- Jonathan Frid flubs when he tells Carl that Pansy may not know the way to the Old House, when in fact he should have said Collinwood since he and Carl were already at the Old House, and Pansy has never been to Collinwood.