|← 693 →|
February 13, 1969
|We have 26 images of Dark Shadows 693|
- Dusk casts its ominous shadows over the Collins estate. Soon another night will come to the great house bringing with it the hope that the terrors from the past will finally be put to rest. One man has a plan but only time will tell whether it succeeds or fails.
Chris has an angry discussion with Julia at the main house about his guilty feelings concerning Sabrina, and then storms out. Before Julia can catch her breath, Professor Stokes walks in and tells her she has to help him with an exorcism.
He says he'll go outside the house but before long, he jerks open the secret passageway in the drawing room to reveal David eavesdropping on him. Stokes knew someone was using the secret panel recently, so he cleverly scattered sugar at the area between the door and the base of the stairs. With one crack was enough to tell that someone happened to be in there. David tries to bluff it out, but Stokes persists in thinly veiled metaphors about possessing and destroying objects until he looks like he might crack... and then clams up. Stokes then begins to declare that the ghost is in the room with them, but David denies it hysterically, until he gives himself away by trying to plead with Quentin. Stokes tells him he must cooperate with him before he becomes permanently possessed.
Carolyn sits in the garden when Chris comes by and briefly tells her he's leaving Collinsport and is sorry it didn't work out between them. They both declare that they love each other, but he won't tell her why he's leaving and she storms off. Julia comes across him and tells him he has to stay for Carolyn or at least, for Amy. She then explains the whole possession thing and he is stunned that no one ever told him anything before. He agrees to stay.
Professor Stokes comes into the drawing room to find Carolyn and tells her to go get David. Julia walks up and Stokes tells her to keep David inside and watch him carefully for signs of success or failure. Carolyn comes down with David and the creepy Quentin music starts playing, as a storm starts and a window blows open. The lights go out and Stokes leaves to go perform the exorcism.
Stokes yells out incantations from outside, throwing David back into hysteria. Eventually, David passes out and all the lights come back on and the storm stops. David wakes up all confused and Stokes goes to his room.
In his room, Stokes smokes a cigarette and then gets up to look in the mirror and sees... Quentin. Quentin laughs his creepy laugh at him, and when Stokes turns around, his room is on fire, with his door locked from the outside.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Professor Stokes: That tells me precisely nothing, which I'm sure is what you intended.
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Thayer David as Timothy Eliot Stokes →
- ← Don Briscoe as Chris Jennings →
- ← David Selby as Quentin Collins →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
Background information and notes Edit
- There are scratches and dirt marks on the opening slide of Collinwood.
- It appears to be an actual fire consuming the drapes and not a special effect. Flames and smoke can be seen clearly as the smoke rises and the flames creep up the drapes. It is different from the previous special effect fires that consumed Angelique and Nicholas, which were achieved by superimposing the fire effect on top.
- For the first time in many episodes the fountain on the terrace is running again.
- Professor Stokes does not know Quentin's name. Why didn't Maggie tell him, or anyone else?
- GHOSTWATCH: Quentin's ghost appears to Professor Stokes.
- TIMELINE: Dusk at the start of the episode, the implication being that Chris and Julia have just returned to Collinwood from visiting Sabrina in the previous episode. Day 274 begins, and will end in 696. 12am: Quentin appears to Professor Stokes.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- A boom microphone shadow briefly alights atop Julia's head several times in the drawing room; it also appears on the drawing room door as Professor Stokes comes back into the foyer from outside.
- In the face of supernatural evidence, Julia smiles.