- My name is Victoria Winters. When I first arrived at Collinwood it was with hope and fear. Hope that the secrets of my past would be unlocked for me. Fear of the unknown that lay ahead. And now that fear has been centered on a man's death and the endless ripples of tension it has produced.
Carolyn and Liz fight about Burke's reputation and what he is capable of. Carolyn asks Liz if she's made any such accusations to Matthew and tells of her encounter with the groundskeeper. Matthew attempts to manhandle Burke and get him to sit down with him. Liz can't find Matthew 20 minutes after Carolyn saw him last (63). Carolyn openly acknowledges that Matthew would 'tear limb-from-limb' anyone who wished/acted harm upon Liz. Sheriff Patterson calls Collinwood to warn Liz that Burke's on a rampage and to call if Burke shows up. Liz wants to talk to the Sheriff about Matthew Morgan and says it's connected to the Malloy case. Burke receives verbal threats from Morgan and a near-beating after saying Liz is not an angel. The Sheriff intercedes, saving Burke. He pulls the duo downtown and tells Burke he's the more dangerous element. Carolyn again defends Burke. Liz tells her that Maggie's visit was due to Burke's accusations that Roger/Sam had something to do with Malloy's death. Liz asks which Carolyn would rather believe: that Burke is a slanderer or that Roger is a murderer. Burke admits to the Sheriff that he visited Sam, then tells the Sheriff that he no longer thinks Sam killed Malloy. The Sheriff points out that he is the Law, and that Malloy probably wasn't murdered. He orders Burke to stay away from the Collinses. Burke tells the Sheriff to tell them to keep the Collins 'goons' away from him. Burke is ordered out of the room. The Sheriff orders Matthew to work the Collins Farm for them, etc., and tells him he'll arrest him if he goes around Burke again. The Sheriff insists that Burke won't go up to Collinwood again. Liz laments that Carolyn is 'stuck' in Collinwood. Carolyn tells Liz of her instant attraction to Burke. Carolyn resolves to see Burke to ask about the accusations and Liz doesn't order her not to. Burke shows up at Collinwood.
Memorable quotes Edit
Carolyn (to Liz and about Matthew): I think if someone were worrying you or endangering you, he'd tear them apart.
Patterson (to Matthew): You work the farm for them?
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Dana Elcar as George Patterson →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Thayer David as Matthew Morgan →
Background Information and NotesEdit
- Matthew admits to Burke that having the bar tender tell Liz that Matthew wasn't there was the first time he's ever lied to her. Even so, he didn't do it directly.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- During the opening credits, the DARK SHADOWS lettering on the right side has vanished and slowly fades in.
- As Liz and Carolyn argue, someone is walking outside the windows in the drawing room and is visible for some time.
- Patterson flubs over the word execution, it coming out as ectocution or something.
- Patterson asks Matthew if he tends to the FARM on Collinwood. (The scripted word was Garden).