Victoria and Carolyn talk about the disappearance of Bill Malloy. Elizabeth grills Roger about his meeting with Bill. Victoria returns to her room to find the word “Death” written on her mirror. Victoria questions David, who claims he didn’t do it; David blames it on the Widows. Carolyn loses her watch; Victoria goes with her to look for it. David predicts they will !nd death instead of a watch. While looking for the watch, Victoria and Carolyn see a body on the shore below.
- My name is Victoria Winters. Night has come to Collinwood and brought with it no answer to the mystery of a man's disappearance. Instead there is restlessness. A restlessness that draws me out of the great house and into the darkness around it. A restlessness that seems to gnaw at everyone who lives on the crest of Widows' Hill.
Vicki goes out for a night stroll and meets up with Carolyn atop Widow's Hill. They talk about ghosts and feelings. Carolyn consults the Widows when she and Vicki hear them. Carolyn is surprisingly morose about her own future. David tells Liz he's been seeing ghosts. Carolyn and Vicki make tea. The phone rings and it's Joe, not Bill Malloy or Roger. Liz recounts, on Carolyn's behest, that there is a third death in the legend on Widow's Hill (9). Roger comes home.
Vicki wakes David up after finding DEATH written in lipstick on her mirror. David purports it was a widow who wrote it. Vicki and Carolyn go out looking for Carolyn's watch, which must have fallen off while they were up there chatting morbidly. Roger enjoys his cold chicken sandwich and a glass of milk. Roger derides Liz her hiding in Collinwood after she grills him about his whereabouts since leaving the office at her behest. He claims that he went out to his cousins' house, but they hadn't seen him in weeks or heard from him in days. Liz asks Roger about Malloy's night visit. He knows it was Vicki who gave him up, and lies that he and Malloy have a difference over some unnameable accounts. Carolyn and Vicki leave and David tells Liz that Miss Winters is going to find death. He's right; they see a body on the rocks at the bottom of Widow's Hill.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Carolyn: That's me: up and down, in and out, never the same girl twice.
- Roger: Cold chicken sandwich and a glass of milk. It's better than cavier at this time of night.
- Victoria: Is there something wrong with David?
- Elizabeth: No, he's just been afflicted with the family disease. He's been seeing ghosts.
- Carolyn: Friend or foe, advance and be recognized.
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Louis Edmonds as Roger Collins →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
Background information and notes Edit
- Outside footage alert: Vicki leaves the house from huge doors. Bill's body (but we're not sure it's him) at the bottom of the rocks off Widow's Hill.
- Joe gave Carolyn a wristwatch for her 16th birthday.
- Liz explains the legend of Widow's Hill - there were two widow's who jumped off the cliff, and there's supposed to be a third someday.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- David Henesy continually looks at the camera as he talks to Liz.
- We hear a clicking sounds as David leaves the drawing room and Liz follows.