|← 497 →|
May 20, 1968
|We have 10 images of Dark Shadows 497|
- There is some measure of safety while the light of day lingers over Collinwood. But when night comes so will the evil dream that has already struck terror unto the hearts and minds of five people. At the Old House on the Collins estate, a woman will make a great effort to keep the dream from finding a sixth victim, unaware that it is not within her power to keep the dream from spreading.
Mrs. Johnson returns from Boston and discusses the dream with Julia. She knows she has to share the dream with David but is afraid. Julia prevents her from leaving the old house.
Julia tries to reason with Mrs. Johnson who gets hysterical. Julia slaps her. Julia tells Mrs. Johnson she's talked to Dr. Stokes about the dream. Julia promises to get in touch with him and find out if there's been any progress. There's a knock at the door. It is David. Julia tells Mrs. Johnson to go home and get some rest. Julia prevents David from leaving with Mrs. Johnson. Willie shows up and tells Julia he wants to talk to her downstairs. David goes outside to play. Mrs. Johnson takes him away claiming she has something to tell him.
Joe shows up and announces he had taken Maggie's earrings and had them appraised. Joe does not like Maggie's new earrings and suspects that she got them from an admirer. Maggie puts the earrings on and stares in the mirror. Maggie refuses to take the earrings off. Maggie tells him he's acting childish and he leaves in anger. Josette's music plays as she looks in the mirror and she begins to remember.
Willie's got a gun. Maggie arrives and speaks nicely to Willie. Willie asks her why she has come and she says she's begun to remember things. Maggie says she knows Willie came to her house to warn her and they agree to be friends. He lies to her. Willie asks Maggie for a date. Maggie says Joe wouldn't like it. Willie says he has no friends. He makes her promise to think about going out with him. After Maggie leaves Willie grabs the gun and makes threats against Joe.
Mrs. Johnson sits by David's bed having told him of the dream. David has the dream and sees Willie. David goes through the door and hears the poem and Josette's music. He opens the first door and sees the skull, behind the second the skeleton bride, behind the third a giant bat, and behind the fourth a giant spiders web to which he becomes stuck. He screams for help and wakes.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Joe: Well maybe we ought to just cancel our dinner.
- Maggie: Either that or find a place that serves baby food.
- Willie: Through sight and sound and faceless terror, through endless corridors by trial and error, ahead a blazing light does burn, and one door leads to the point of return.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell
- Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman
- Clarice Blackburn as Sarah Johnson
- John Karlen as Willie Loomis
- Kathryn Leigh Scott as Maggie Evans
- David Henesy as David Collins
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode was recorded out of broadcast sequence. The previous episode to be recorded was 501.
- This is one of only four episodes in the series to be recorded on the day before broadcast, along with 505, 507 and 508.
- David's room has clearly been set up ready for the dream curse sequence as everything is black.
- There are no cast or crew credited for this episode and the end music is abruptly cut off as the copyright page fades.
- DREAM SEQUENCE: David experiences the dream curse. He is the sixth victim. He opens four doors revealing a skull, a skeleton bride, bats, and a giant spider's web. The beckoner is Willie.
- INTERNAL MONOLOGUE: Maggie: Remembering something about the Old House.
- TIMELINE: Day 208 takes place. Mrs. Johnson has been experiencing the effects of dream curse for "several days", (Julia told it to her in 490). It was the "other night" when Willie went to the Evans cottage to warn Maggie, (occurred in 483).