Victoria compliments David for a picture he has drawn, however he becomes angry when he finds that she has shown it to his father. Burke sends David a crystal ball as a gift. Joe shows up with some paperwork that Bill was supposed to handle and informs Elizabeth that Bill is missing. Victoria tells Elizabeth that Bill was upset the night before and had invited Roger to a meeting. David looks into his crystal ball and tells Victoria that Bill Malloy is dead, and that his father killed him.
- My name is Victoria Winters. I can hardly remember how long I've been here at Collinwood. How long I've been exposed to the fears that seem to pulse through the halls of the great house on Widows' Hill. And now another day has begun. Not only for me, but for a troubled boy.
After learning that Vicki showed his drawing to Roger, David destroys it. David calls Vicki on her double standard about her 'borrowing' his picture and they get into an argument. Liz interrupts and brings David a package. It is a crystal ball from Burke. Liz regrets that David is so fond of a man who hates his father. He calls Burke and tells him he's going to make a new picture for him. Joe shows up and David proudly shows him his crystal ball. Joe has something for Liz; she learns that Malloy hasn't been to work. Joe recounts Mrs. Johnson's tale that Malloy was last seen at 10:30 and that his bed hadn't been slept in when she returned (to visit her daughter). Liz speculates that Malloy vanished between 10:30 and 11:00, when she tried to call him. Liz calls Mrs. Johnson to ask if Bill went off to see his cousins.
David has gone missing again, and when Vicki reports his disappearance to Liz, the governess fills her in on Malloy's visit to Collinwood the night before. Malloy has never gone missing before. David tells Joe that he'll use the crystal ball to look for Malloy and that it told him he'll never marry Carolyn because she is to marry Burke. Joe asks Vicki to slap smart-mouthed David. Later, David tells Vicki that Bill Malloy is dead and he was killed by Roger.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
Background information and notes Edit
- Liz talks to Mrs. Johnson on the phone but Johnson has not yet appeared.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- David Henesy drops a pencil.
- A boom mike shows up.
- As the scene between Vicki and Joe ends, we hear crackling sounds and a fart sound.
- The end theme gets miscued and then fast speeded...