- A séance has been held in the great house at Collinwood, a séance which has suspended time and space, and sent one woman on an uncertain and frightening journey into the past, back to the year 1795. There each of the Collins ancestors resembles a present day member of the Collins family, but the names and relationships have changed, and Victoria Winters finds herself a stranger in a sea of familiar faces. On this night, one man has already made a shocking discovery. Wave upon wave of terror is to follow in its wake, ending, perhaps, in sudden death."
Joshua Collins returns to Collinwood from the mausoleum. Natalie DuPres comes to him seeking his help in convincing Josette Collins to leave Collinwood. Ignoring her pleas, Joshua explains that he has gone to Barnabas Collins' grave and discovered that his coffin is empty.
Joshua believes Barnabas' body was stolen by grave robbers. Natalie is doubtful of his theory; it offers no explanation as to Josette's possession of Barnabas' ring. Their discussion is interrupted by Suki Forbes who is now staying with the Collins' family. She is concerned about Josette who is in her room calling for Barnabas. Joshua and Natalie excuse themselves to go check on Josette. The servant Riggs lets them into her locked bedroom where they discover that Josette is missing. Joshua shows Natalie the secret panel that leads out of Collinwood.
Lt. Nathan Forbes arrives at Collinwood to call on his fiancee, Millicent Collins, but is met at the door by his wife, Suki, instead. Suki will leave Collinsport for $5,000 in gold. If he cannot raise the money, she will show Millicent their marriage license. While they are arguing, Natalie enters the drawing room and interrupts them. She is distraught because Josette is missing and begs Nathan to help search for her. After she leaves, Suki agrees to meet Nathan at the Old House so they may speak in private. Joshua asks Nathan to go into town and notify the constable, thereby delaying his meeting with Suki. Suki enters the parlor of the Old House only to be startled by Barnabas.
Barnabas demands to know Suki's identity and reason for visiting the Old House. When she claims to be meeting her brother, Nathan, Barnabas calls her a liar. He has deduced that she is really Nathan's wife, and if she values her life she will leave Collinwood and forget what she has seen. Suki is not frightened because she knows he has a secret of his own; he is Barnabas and has not gone to England as everyone believes. He disappears during their conversation and Suki goes looking for him.
After Barnabas disappears and Suki is unable to find him, she becomes frightened and leaves. A bat flies towards her and chases her back into the Old House. As Suki cries out for Nathan to come, the bat breaks through the window and enters the parlor, transforming into Barnabas. He begins to strangle her as Nathan arrives. Nathan breaks down the door and finds Suki on the floor. She is able to name Barnabas as her attacker before she dies in Nathan's arms.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins
- Louis Edmonds as Joshua Collins
- Joel Crothers as Nathan Forbes
- Jane Draper as Suki Forbes
- Grayson Hall as Natalie DuPrés
- Dan Morgan as Riggs
Background information and notes Edit
- According to Joshua Collins the secret passageway "leads to the garden at the end of the house."
- The only other people who knew about the secret passageway are both dead: Jeremiah Collins and Barnabas Collins.