|← 38 →|
August 2, 1966
|We have 1 images of Dark Shadows 38|
- My name is Victoria Winters. The gray light of morning has come again to Collinwood and the strange sounds of the night should seem thousands of miles away. Yet I can still hear it in my mind; the helpless crying that filled the shadows of the great house on Widows' Hill; crying that had drawn me down musty stairs to a strange and forbidding door.
Matthew catches Victoria in the basement, where she claims she's looking for a book for David. Matthew distrusts her and tells her about the ghost of Josette Collins. He refuses to allow her in the locked room. He refuses to make trouble for Elizabeth or tell Victoria how opening that room would make trouble for Elizabeth. Burke's reading The Count of Monte Cristo and Carolyn likens the duö. Burke calls Carolyn on her jealousy of Victoria. Elizabeth tells Matthew that he was responsible for Roger's accident, not Burke. She orders him to lie and take the blame for the faulty brake part. Matthew accepts the blame; he tells Elizabeth about catching Victoria in the basement. Carolyn pursues Burke. Victoria tells Elizabeth about Ned's call. Carolyn and Victoria talk about her 'missing' ring, ink for pens, and the sobbing in the basement, which Carolyn's heard for most of her life. She attributes it to ghosts and tells Victoria to 'get used to it' like the rest of the 'kooks' at Collinwood.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Thayer David as Matthew Morgan →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Colleen Kelly as Susie → (uncredited)
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode was recorded out of broadcast sequence. The previous episode to be recorded was 36.
- Thayer David takes over the role of Matthew Morgan from George Mitchell beginning with this episode. David would remain with the series until its final episode in 1971.
- Burke reads the novel 'The Count of Monte Cristo' which as Carolyn comments is about a man returning to his hometown to wreak revenge, something Elizabeth, Roger and Sam suspect to be Burke's true motivation for returning to Collinsport.
- GHOSTWATCH: Matthew tells Victoria that the sobbing she heard was Josette Collins and that other ghosts haunt Collinwood.
- TIMELINE: Burke is posing for his portrait at the Evans cottage this afternoon and then he has a business appointment in Bangor. It was about 2am in the morning when Ned Caulder phoned. Carolyn has to change clothes as she going to Bangor later that day.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Matthew tells Victoria that the sobbing she heard was made by ghosts. But later in episodes 122, 125 and 126, when he is confronted by Josette, Bill Malloy and the widows, he'll deny believing in ghosts.
- The blinking square, indicating a commercial break, can be seen slightly at the top right of the screen at the end of the final act.
- The voices of crew members can be heard working behind the scenes.
- Elizabeth, Roger and Matthew discuss the car incident, and seem to go against what they've already discussed in the past episodes.