- My name is Victoria Winters. The gray light of morning has come again to Collinwood and the strange sounds of the night should seem thousands of miles away. Yet I can still hear it in my mind; the helpless crying that filled the shadows of the great house on Widows' Hill—crying that had drawn me down musty stairs to a strange and forbidding door.
Matthew catches Vicky in the basement, where she claims she's looking for a book for David. Matthew distrusts her and tells her about the ghost of Josette Collins. He refuses to allow her in the locked room. He refuses to make trouble for Liz or tell Vicky how opening that room would make trouble for Liz. Burke's reading The Count of Monte Cristo and Carolyn likens the duö. Burke calls Carolyn on her jealousy of Vicky. Liz tells Matthew that he was responsible for Roger's accident, not Burke. She orders him to lie and take the blame for the faulty brake part. Matthew accepts the blame; he tells Liz about catching Vicky in the basement. Carolyn pursues Burke. Vicky tells Liz about Ned's call. Carolyn and Vicky talk about her 'missing' ring, ink for pens, and the sobbing in the basement, which Carolyn's heard for most of her life. She attributes it to ghosts and tells Vicky to 'get used to it' like the rest of the 'kooks' at Collinwood.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- Thayer David as ← Matthew Morgan →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Colleen Kelly as Susie → (uncredited)
- ← Collinsport Inn customer → (uncredited)
Background information and notes Edit
- Thayer David takes over the role of Matthew Morgan from George Mitchell, beginning with this episode. David would remain with the show until its final episode in 1971.
- Burke is reading The Count of Monte Cristo, which, as Carolyn recognizes, is about a man returning to his hometown to wreak revenge.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Matthew tells Vicki that the sobbing she heard was Josette Collins and that other ghosts haunt Collinwood. Later on in episodes 122, 125 and 126, when he's confronted by Josette, Bill Malloy and the widows, he'll deny believing in ghosts.
- The blinking square, indicating a commercial break, can be seen slightly at the top right of the screen at the end of the final act.
- We hear the crews' voices working behind the scenes.
- Liz and Roger and Matthew discuss the car incident...and seem to go against what they've already discussed in the past episodes.
End credits announcementsEdit
- Stay tuned for 'Where the Action Is' next on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.