- My name is Victoria Winters. It seems like years since I came here to Collinwood, where the tensions holds the flow of time. But the days have passed, and I'm no closer to the answers I'd hoped to find—answers which I feel are rooted within the paneled walls of this great mansion, and in the heart of the woman who never leaves its grounds.
Liz implores Carolyn to be happy; Liz explains her cover up and Carolyn wants her to tell Burke. Liz tells Carolyn not to like Burke just because he didn't try to kill Roger. Liz believes Carolyn is the only one at Collinwood to have a chance for happiness. Joe's toasted. He accuses Burke of trying to steal Carolyn. Joe's partner's wife is pregnant, so their boat is a no-go. Carolyn is shocked that David’s staying at Collinwood. She likens him to Jack the ripper and Liz orders her to leave him alone. She also implores her daughter, again, to leave Collinwood. Joe gets more drunk and Burke pays his tab. Carolyn says the worst thing she could do would be to marry Joe (he's too nice). Joe shows up at Collinwood drunk. Joe spouts off about Liz's 18-year entrapment and Carolyn's fear of marriage. Vicki and Burke meet at the Blue Whale.
Memorable quotes Edit
Burke to Vicki: "You stay here you'll be as nuts as the rest of them."
Carolyn: I'd rather have one friend like Burke then ten cousins like David.
Liz: I'm not interested in Burke.
Liz (to Carolyn): Please be happy. You're the only one of us in this house who can have a sane, happy life.
Carolyn: Are we all crazy?
Burke: Marriage isn't always the answer. Sometimes it gets in the way.
Liz: The sooner you get out of this house, the better.
Carolyn: No wonder this place is a madhouse.
Carolyn: David's no ordinary little boy. From the very first day he came here...
Burke: (to Joe): Don't sell yourself short, kid.
Joe: If Mohammed won't come to the mountain...
Carolyn: Jack the Ripper had an aunt and a mother.
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Bob O'Connell as Bob Rooney → (uncredited)
- Harvey Keitel as Blue Whale customer (uncredited)
- ← Blue Whale customers → (uncredited)
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode features actor Harvey Keitel as an uncredited extra at the Blue Whale.
- Liz and Vicki seem to have the same hair style.
- Joe's friend's wife is having a baby.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Bob Rooney, the Blue Whale bartender, is called "Andy." Joe also calls for him as "waiter!""
- The dancing couples do not seem to match the music playing as they dance.
- Mike shadow as Potted Joe arrives at Collinwood and goes up the steps.
End credits announcementsEdit
- Who is Shane? Why is he trying to forget his past? Meet the shooting westerner in a new adventure series Saturday nights in color staring in September on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.