While the family wait anxiously at Collinwood for news of the runaway boy, Burke finds David in his hotel room, and they become friends. David hides the bleeder valve in the room, but Burke watches, then takes it.
- My name is Victoria Winters. The hours tick by in the Great House on Widows' Hill and there is still no word. The boy I had been brought here to tutor has not yet been found, and the faint whisper of fear is slowly becoming louder. fear that grips the heart of a woman who suspects a truth she cannot bear to face.
Carolyn used to hide as a child. Liz idiotically blames Vicki for David's predicament. David shows up at Burke's hotel room. David plants the bleeder valve. Liz is a bitch, still. Burke tells David that he, Laura, and Roger were friends before Roger married Laura. David tells Burke he's not what he had expected based on Roger's horror stories. Burke declares friendship with David. Carolyn, Vicki's confidante, scolds Liz. Carolyn says she's dreamed of killing her father, who left Liz before Carolyn was born. Liz admits she doesn't think Vicki did it. Maggie calls about David. Liz dispatches Carolyn with the car to search. David and Burke talk about Roger's hatred and fathers in general. David wishes his father were like Burke. Roger used to fight with his wife about Burke. David goes to wash up and Burke finds the bleeder valve.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode is one of the rare ones that required a second take.
- This is the first episode where Carolyn Stoddard can be heard whining, "But why?" This will become something of an unofficial catchphrase for her.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Joan Bennett stumbles over her lines a couple times in this episode.
- A camera lens struggles to come into view as Burke sits with David near the end of the episode.
- It is established here that Carolyn's father left Elizabeth before Carolyn was born. However, this would not be the case in later storylines.
End credits announcementsEdit
- Share the color and pageantry of Lucy Johnson's wedding day as ABC news brings you live color coverage starting Saturday morning at eleven thirty, ten thirty central time on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.