Maggie's condition worsens, and Sam has to call in Dr. Woodard to examine her.
- My name is Victoria Winters. Evil reaches deeply into mans' soul – turning his heart to stone – transforming him into a vile monstrosity, and it is horrible to observe this process in an innocent and not be able to recognize it or prevent it.
It is early morning and Maggie is gravely ill. Sam comes into her bedroom and tries to awaken her but to no avail. He notices that the two French doors leading outside are wide open again. He shuts the doors and then telephones the Collinsport Inn to tell them that Maggie is not coming in to work today. Maggie manages to wake with some effort, and she drags herself out of bed. But she is much too weak, and collapses in tears.
By four in the afternoon, Sam tries to rouse her again. Maggie wakes up, but is very feeble and quite cantankerous. Sam insists on calling a doctor to examine her, but Maggie insists that she is fine. They bicker for a little bit, and Maggie dissolves into tears, saying that no doctor can help her.
At the Blue Whale, Burke and Vicki are having a date; Vicki is upset about the upheaval at Collinwood and Burke questions why Willie Loomis is still in town. She explains that Willie is working for Barnabas restoring the Old House. Vicki has another surprise for Burke: Jason McGuire is now working at the Collins Cannery. Meantime, at the Evans cottage, Sam has called the doctor and Dr. Woodard is in Maggie's room examining her. Joe arrives, and learns that Maggie's condition has worsened. Woodard is uncertain of her exact diagnosis aside from the fact that she is suffering from an acute loss of blood.
No one can understand what caused Maggie's blood loss, and Dr. Woodard comments on how uncooperative she was during the examination. Woodard puts Maggie on a special diet and leaves to take his blood tests back to the lab. Joe agrees to watch over Maggie so Sam can get some fresh air, and a few drinks down at the Blue Whale. As the sun sets, a dog howls and Maggie gets out of bed and opens the French doors. Maggie, who doesn't want to be watched over, gets into a fight with Joe and she kicks Joe out of the house.
Sam goes to the bar and meets up with Burke and Vicki. He talks about Maggie's condition and Vicki remarks about how her symptoms are similar to that of Willie's from a few weeks ago. Joe goes down to the Blue Whale to tell Sam that Maggie kicked him out. Sam rushes back to the house only to discover that Maggie is gone.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Sam Evans (to Maggie): "He's going to come here, and he's going to examine you if we have to tie you down!"
- Dr. Woodard: "I'm the doctor Sam, remember? And if I say she's lost blood, then somehow she's lost it!"
- Maggie Evans: "Baby-sitting time is over! How much do I owe you, twenty-five, fifty cents an hour?"
Dramatis personae Edit
- Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin
- Kathryn Leigh Scott as Maggie Evans
- Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell
- David Ford as Sam Evans
- Richard Woods as Dr. Woodard
- and Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters
Background information and notes Edit
- This is the last episode to feature Richard Woods as Dr. Woodard. The character will return in episode 231 played by Robert Gerringer.
- New song at the Blue Whale.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Shadows from the production crew can be seen falling across Maggie's nightgown in the opening scenes of this episode.
- The shadow of a boom mike can be seen inside the Evans cottage.