- My name is Victoria Winters. The dark voices of fear are part of the strange world on top of Widows' Hill. Here in the great house that is now my home, I've listened to their murmurs and trembled at their approach. And now tragedy has almost come, and the hidden echoes of the past are moving closer and closer.
Vicki relates to Liz the message from Malloy: Roger is OK. He's lucky, the accident could have been worse. Liz is not sure it WAS an accident. Liz recounts the boring facts that led to her boring speech. Joe is still cool to Burke, who insists he be on a first-name basis with the lovebirds. Carolyn implies she'd like to be bludgeoned and kidnapped by Burke. Joe questions her devotion to staying with Burke. Matthew's accident was 17 years ago, and ever since then, he's made sure the brakes on every car worked, according to Elizabeth. Liz worries that Collinwood 'smells of death' and isn't the place for David. Liz asks Matthew how he's been attending to Roger's car; Matthew jumps to the conclusion that Roger complained and says he hates him. He threatens to kill anyone who harms Liz. Matthew says the brakes on Roger's car were checked two days ago, so they had to have been tampered with in order to cause Roger's accident. Carolyn attempts to get Burke to dance with her; Burke refuses. Burke decides to stop waiting for Roger; Carolyn invites him to the movie. Joe storms out after insulting Burke (who's really been quite passive in this). Burke and Carolyn go looking for Joe. Reporters hound Liz because the Collins' are newsworthy. Vicki has to give Carolyn up when Liz attempts to contact her at the movie house. Liz is furious when she learns/realizes that Carolyn is chasing Burke. She finds out from the barkeep that Carolyn indeed left with Burke. Vicki breaks a dish; Liz watches the clock.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Burke: "Never try to figure out a woman, Joe. It's a waste of time."
- Elizabeth: (about Collinwood) "This is no place for young people. It's old and decaying and smells of death."
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← George Mitchell as ← Matthew Morgan →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Bob O'Connell as Bob Rooney → (uncredited)
- ← Blue Whale customers → (uncredited)
Background information and notes Edit
- During the reading of the recording slate (included on MP5204), the announcer says, "And a happy Independence Day to you all."
- This is George Mitchell's final episode. The role of Matthew Morgan will be replaced by Thayer David in Episode 38.
- The Collinsport Fly can be seen as Matthew leaves the drawing room.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Joan Bennett stumbles over the word "repaired."
- We hear about Roger's doctor Reeves and Jim Hardy from the constable's office
End credits announcementsEdit
- 'Where The Action Is' made it's debut one year ago with top recording stars performing where the fun is. Come along for a real good time next, here on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.