|← 145 →|
January 6, 1967
|We have 1 images of Dark Shadows 145|
- My name is Victoria Winters. A strange force has caused me against my will to bring a painting to Collinwood. A painting so weird and mysterious that no one, not even the man who painted it can explain it. For one it holds an unusual fascination.
Laura visits David in his room; she says he is looking too much at the painting and avoiding spending time with her. David says he has a feeling the painting was meant for him, that is means something... like a warning.
Laura tries to convince David that he has a vivid imagination, and says he shouldn't let it run away. He tells her about his nightmare in which her face emerged from the painting. David wants to be alone and refuses to take a walk with his mother, who is clearly upset over the feelings David has toward the painting. Meantime at the Evans Cottage, Sam avoids painting because he can only paint one thing, Laura Collins in flames. He leaves to get some fresh air, and Maggie takes a look at his new painting.
Laura shows up to see Sam, and tells Maggie that the cottage hasn't changed in ten years. She tries to sneak a peek at Sam's new portrait, but Maggie prevents her, grilling Laura instead. She wants to know why her father seems to have an obsession with Laura, drawing her face into everything. Laura admits that's the reason for her visit: to get an explanation from Sam himself. Sam returns, startled to see Laura. Maggie departs to meet Joe, leaving Laura and Sam alone to talk. Laura demands answers, which Sam can't provide.
Laura threatens Sam and tells him not to paint. He insists he is compelled to paint even though he doesn't want to. Laura appears to understand what's happening to Sam, although she denies it when he presses the matter. She reveals that David has formed a strange attachment to the first painting, then orders Sam to destroy the new one. He tries but he can't.
Later that evening, Maggie and Joe find the cottage empty. Maggie worries about Sam and laments her life as her father's permanent nursemaid. She fantasizes about skipping town and Joe kisses her. They go to find Sam. At Collinwood, Laura check on David who is tossing in his sleep. She stares at the painting for a moment before heading back downstairs. Maggie and Joe bring Sam home, drunk. He lays on the couch. Laura stares into the fire. Sam falls asleep, and his cigarette drops to the floor. Smoke billows.
Memorable quotes Edit
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Diana Millay as Laura Collins →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
- ← David Ford as Sam Evans →
- ← Kathryn Leigh Scott as Maggie Evans →
- ← Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell →
Background information and notes Edit
- The original videotape master of this episode is lost. However, an incredibly poor-quality Kinescope copy does exist.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- As Sam returns and is greeted by Maggie and Laura, a camera can be seen pulling back at bottom right of the picture.