- My name is Victoria Winters. Though it is now late at night, the lights of Collinwood are still burning. A man has arrived who could rescue me from the Old House where I am held prisoner, a prisoner of a crazed, desperate man who has just decided to kill me.
Matthew has decided to kill Vicki because he believes the Widows want blood. Vicki attempts to plead with him, but to no avail. As Matthew leaves the Old House, Vicki begins to cry, begging for someone to help her.
David finally tells him about seeing Bill's ghost and the ghost's warning. He tells Burke that Vicki is with Matthew, but he's sure Matthew won't hurt her.
Matthew eyes, then sharpens, an axe. Vicki sobs. Josette's portrait comes to life and her ghost speaks to Vicki, telling her not to be afraid before leaving.
David tries to explain before telling Burke where to find Vicki. He said he was trying to help Matthew because he was his friend and he thought he was innocent. David tells them about the secret room at the Old House.
Matthew, axe in hand, returns and Vicki tells Matthew she saw the ghost of Josette. Roger doesn't know of any secret rooms in the Old House. David tells Burke how to get into the Old House's secret panel. Burke orders Roger to get him a gun; after a talk, Roger decides to get two and go along with him.
Vicki tells Matthew about Josette's warning and how it means she should not die because of the Widows. She also threatens that the ghosts will haunt him if he kills her.
Matthew prepares to behead Vicki when he hears ghostly voices calling his name. He goes to investigate and kill whatever is making the noise.
Bill's ghost appears singing "What can you do with a drunken sailor?" and Matthew attempts to ax-hack it. The ghosts of the Widows appear, converging on Matthew and telling the deranged fugitive they want his life. Vicki hears Matthew's screams and shouts to him when they abruptly stop.
Burke shouts back; he and Roger find and untie Vicki, who tells them to be careful--Matthew has an axe! Burke offers to carry Vicki; the trio exits the secret room and find Matthew, slumped in a chair. The two men order him to come quietly; he falls over dead.
Roger: What did the ghost say, "Boo"?
Dramatis personae Edit
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← Louis Edmonds as Roger Collins →
- ← David Henesy as David Collins →
- ← Thayer David as Matthew Morgan →
- and ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Kathryn Leigh Scott as Ghost of Josette Collins →
- ← Frank Schofield as Ghost of Bill Malloy
- Female Ghosts (uncredited)
Background information and notes Edit
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- When David Henesy comes down stairs in the opening teaser, the boom mike hovers into view.
- Kathryn Leigh Scott is credited as 'Maggie Evans,' who in fact does not appear in this episode. Presumably this mistake came about from her appearing as the 'Ghost of Josette Collins'.
- At the end of the closing credits, the announcer says "On behalf of our sponsors, we would like to wish you a very happy holiday season. Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production."