|← 1231 →|
March 4, 1971
|We have 4 images of Dark Shadows 1231|
- Collinwood: The mysterious locked room in the abandoned west wing has brought death or madness to all who have entered it. Morgan Collins has survived the night in the room, but has been possessed by the spirit of a man who died in 1680, the year the curse began. On this night, an attempt was made to exorcise the spirit of James Forsythe from the body of Morgan Collins. The attempt failed, but the family is soon to be faced with a revelation they never expected.
In 1680, James Forsythe was a business partner with Brutus Collins; Brutus was stealing money from James. James was having an affair with Brutus' wife Amanda. Brutus kills James and Amanda and later Constance. Brutus set a curse on Collinwood, only the person capable surviving a night in the locked room would be worthy of the Collins name. Back in 1841, Brutus' spirit comes for James Forsythe's spirit.
Memorable quotes Edit
- James: I want what is coming to me.
- Brutus: Have no fear, James, you will get what is coming to you in due time.
- Brutus: An ordinary death would not be good enough for you. Oh, I want you dead, but I don't want you to rest, James. I want your spirit to be troubled through all eternity.
- Brutus: I am here, Amanda, in the interests of poetic justice.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Louis Edmonds as Brutus Collins
- Nancy Barrett as Amanda Collins
- Grayson Hall as Julia Collins / Constance Collins
- Keith Prentice as Morgan Collins / James Forsythe
Background information and notes Edit
- First appearance of character Brutus Collins as a living being in his own right in a flashback to 1680 PT. This was the eighth and final role played by actor Louis Edmonds in the original series. The character had previously appeared as a ghost, and will continue to do so, since 1225.
- First appearance of character Amanda Collins. This was the seventh role played by actress Nancy Barrett in the original series.
- First appearance of character James Forsythe as a living being in his own right in a flashback to 1680 PT. This was the second role played by actor Keith Prentice in the original series. The character had been possessing Morgan Collins since 1222.
- This is the only appearance of Constance Collins, and is the sixth role played by actress Grayson Hall in the original series.
- Final time an episode is narrated by Louis Edmonds.
- Closing credits scene: Landing in the Collinwood foyer.
- Brutus mentions his grown-up sons whom he considers to be weak. Amanda is likely to be Brutus' second wife, as she doesn't look old enough to have grown up sons, as there is clearly a significant age gap between herself and Brutus. When this episode was recorded, Nancy Barrett was aged 27 and Louis Edmonds was aged 47.
- Unlike the Collinwood of the main time-band, which was built in the year 1795, the Collinwood of Parallel Time was inhabited as early as 1680, some 105 years before their counterparts in the main time-band, who didn't even leave England for the New World until 1690.
- James first met Brutus in the year 1677.
- During scene set in the year 1680, the Collins-Forsythe Trading company is mentioned.
- James states that Brutus has "embezzled hundreds and thousands of dollars". In Colonial Massachusetts of the real world 1680, modern-day Maine was carved out of Massachusetts in 1820, the most common currencies in use would have been denominated in pounds, shillings and pence. But, as he was in the shipping business, it's possible that James was referring to Spanish dollars, a.k.a. "pieces of eight", which were sometimes used in that era.
- Brutus injects James with a hypodermic syringe. In the real world, although attempts had been made earlier to inject substances into the skin, a syringe such as the one Brutus used was not invented until the 1850s.
- GHOSTWATCH: Brutus' ghost appears to Julia and Morgan and releases James' spirit possessing Morgan.
- FLASHBACK : James recalls how the family curse began in the year 1680.
- TIMELINE: 1680: James and Amanda plan to leave in the morning at 9am. 2:20am: James sneaks into Collinwood. Past 9am: Amanda searches for James.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- Collinwood existing in the year 1680 of Parallel Time, which was not even built or occupied until 1795 in the main time-band, 115 years later, when the majority of the Collins family left the Old House and moved into the new Collinwood. In 1796, the Old House was given to Barnabas Collins and his wife Josette. As Josette still lives in the Old House with her son Bramwell Collins in the year 1841 are we supposed to believe that the more modern looking Collinwood (even though it's full of candles and not electricity) was already built in 1680 before the more dilapidated Old House? Also, the foyer of Collinwood in 1680 of Parallel Time has the clock that was said in 357 to have been given as a present by Barnabas to Josette and neither of them were even born yet in 1680 of the main time-band.