|← 1220 →|
February 15, 1971
|We have 2 images of Dark Shadows 1220|
- The great house at Collinwood in Parallel Time; and once again the unknown demons who have haunted the Collins family for a hundred and sixty years demand their due. Still another Collins must spend a night in the terrible locked room. The reason for this ritual of death and madness is buried deep in the past, but every Collins knows that there is no escape from the lottery, and Catherine, who has recently married Morgan, is learning each day the awful responsibility of being a Collins. She has tried to keep her sister, Daphne, from entering the family but has not succeeded. Today a radiant Daphne is Bramwell's bride, but Catherine knows that for the Collins family even the happiest moment can hold its own terrifying secret.
Catherine tells Bramwell that she is carrying his child. He tries to convince her to run away with him, but she refuses to betray Daphne. She reminds Bramwell that he is now married to Daphne and he angrily says he'd send her to hell if it would solve anything. Catherine knows he doesn't mean that, and observes that Daphne shall find hell enough at Collinwood. Back at the main house, Morgan informs Flora and Julia of Bramwell's marriage. They are surprised, but start to plan a wedding present, which angers Morgan. Just then Quentin returns home, angry that he and the police have been unable to find Gabriel.
Catherine tells Bramwell she must return home, as she should be there to discuss the next lottery. Bramwell is furious that Catherine would consider taking part in the lottery since she is carrying his child. She insists that she will tell the family nothing. Bramwell threatens to disclose her condition if she will not. She tells him that his saying that would practically expose Bramwell as the true father. She orders him to stay silent and leaves the house.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Bramwell: I may not have the wealth that Morgan has, but we'll manage somehow. We'll go to the south of France, it's beautiful there. We'll rent a villa and we'll watch our child grow up. We'll have other chidren.
- Catherine: The respectable Mr. and Mrs. Collins.
- Bramwell: No one will ever know or care.
- Catherine: It all sounds so simple, doesn't it? But we'll know that we're the wrong Mr. and Mrs. Collins.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Joan Bennett as Flora Collins (PT)
- Jonathan Frid as Bramwell Collins
- Lara Parker as Catherine Harridge Collins
- Keith Prentice as Morgan Collins
- Grayson Hall as Julia Collins
- David Selby as Quentin Collins (1841 PT)
Background information and notes Edit
- This episode was recorded out of broadcast sequence. The previous episode to be recorded was 1217.
- Lara Parker seems to be suffering from a sore throat though much of the episode, as her voice sounds much raspier than usual. It works in this episode, as Catherine is supposed to be very upset for most of it.
- Closing credits scene: Collinwood basement.
- The Carriage House is mentioned.
- Lieutenant James is searching for Gabriel. James apologized to Quentin, saying he couldn't believe a stranger's word, that of Kendrick, over that of a Collins family member.
- A ledger belonging to James Forsythe from the year 1678 mentions: "Their Majesty's vessel, the Anna Creon, which arrived from the Virginia Colony bearing; a lost boat arriving from St. Eustace"; and the words "...in league with Brutus Collins". Also, "five yards fine wool stuff to Mistress Amanda, a pewter tea set for Mistress Amanda." Amanda was Brutus' wife; Quentin read it in the history. Morgan notes a page was started for February 1681, and a page started for March but never written on. The curse began in March 1681.
- Amanda Collins will appear in 1231.
- Quentin reads a letter:
- "James, Things are not always what they seem, others would tell you to look elsewhere for the truth, you must know that it lies within me, and through me it must reach you. A."
- TIMELINE: The lottery is to be held this afternoon at 3pm. Dr. Fletcher visited Catherine today. 3pm: The lottery takes place.