|← 1210 →|
February 3, 1971
|We have 3 images of Dark Shadows 1210|
- The great estate of Collinwood in Parallel Time, 1840. The tension grows and grows. For the family has ignored the legend that in each generation one member, chosen by lottery, must spend a night in a mysterious locked room. And if the person emerges sane, the curse is over. But if the body is found, or if living, insane, the curse will go on. And this night, Quentin Collins, determined to find out why the curse exists, how it started, conducts a seance to try and summon up Brutus Collins, who in 1860 [sic] seemingly was the curse's first victim.
The séance does not tell them what Quentin wanted to learn. Catherine wants to have children, however Morgan tells her that they must not because of the family curse. Quentin finds that the plague hit Collinsport in the past when the family refused to go through with the lottery. Morgan wants to find a way to get Bramwell out of the Old House. Morgan finds Catherine reading an old love letter from Bramwell. He angrily goes through her things and burns all of the letters. Catherine is deeply hurt by his actions. Melanie has a dream that she is dead, when she awakes she starts to show signs of the plague.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Catherine: Will you allow me to have no past? Even one that has ended?
Dramatis personae Edit
- Joan Bennett as Flora Collins
- David Selby as Quentin Collins
- Nancy Barrett as Melanie Collins
- Lara Parker as Catherine Harridge Collins
- Keith Prentice as Morgan Collins
Background information and notes Edit
- This the final time a year of 1840 is given in the opening narration. A year of '1841' first appears on-screen in 1215, and appears in the narration for the first time in 1234.
- Closing credits scene: Collinwood hallway.
- In the year 1748, Mortimer Collins spent five guineas to have a tooth extracted by a dentist, and then spent a whole paragraph in a journal complaining about it.
- The plague was once at Collinwood in the year 1680, which caused four members of the family to die. It spread to the village, and carts of the dead went daily to the burning grounds. The first symptom was a high fever, and then black marks appeared. It stopped as mysteriously; villagers insisted it ended so quickly because of some stronger supernatural force.
- Catherine has a maid.
- A past generation of the Collins family refused to go along with the legend of the locked room.
- DREAM SEQUENCE: Melanie dreams of her own death, in which she died from the plague.
- This is final instance of a dream sequence in the series.
- GHOSTWATCH: Quentin, Flora and Melanie attempt to contact Brutus Collins, which causes a spirit to speak though Melanie, (reprised from previous episode).