|← 1197 →|
January 18, 1971
|We have 2 images of Dark Shadows 1197|
- The great house of Collinwood in the year 1840. On this night, in the courtyard behind the Collinsport jail, Gerard Stiles has come to witness the final success of his plan to bring about the downfall of the Collins family, for Quentin and Desmond Collins are to be publicly beheaded.
Valerie brings the head of Judah Zachary and interrupts the execution. Valerie explains that Gerard is possessed by the Judah and explains that she was once Judah's follower. Desmond grabs a gun from one of the guards and shoots Gerard, the head of Judah changes to a skull. Judah leaves Gerard's body, Gerard apologizes to Quentin for all that has happened and dies in Quentin's arms. Quentin and Desmond are released.
Barnabas happens upon the events of Parallel Time, where he witnesses Bramwell Collins's return after 5 years away. His fiancee, Catherine Harridge embraces him passionately, but suddenly informs him of her plans to marry his cousin, Morgan Collins. Bramwell swears to win her back.
Barnabas watches that sad reunion and realizes that his one true love has always been Angelique. Not Josette, not Maggie, not Vicki or Roxanne - it has always truly been Angelique. He journeys to the courthouse to tell her, but is quickly informed by the judge that she has been released.
Overwhelmed by his feelings for Angelique, Barnabas returns to Collinwood to confess his love for his wife. He is met by Quentin and Daphne, who are about to depart for their new life together. They inform him of Valerie's freedom, and reveal that she is waiting for him. With a full heart, Barnabas wishes the lovers happiness in their new life, then goes to meet his beloved. Just as he begins to reveal his true love for her, Lamar Trask arrives and shoots her.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Daphne: You saw something in Parallel Time?
- Barnabas: Yes, and it made me realize something I've always known, but never admitted.
- Quentin: What are you talking about?
- Barnabas: Someone I love. I must go to her and tell her.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins / Bramwell Collins
- David Selby as Quentin Collins (1840)
- James Storm as Gerard Stiles / Judah Zachary
- Kate Jackson as Daphne Harridge
- Lara Parker as Angelique Bouchard Collins / Valerie Collins / Catherine Harridge
- Jerry Lacy as Lamar Trask
- John Karlen as Desmond Collins
- Jordan Keen as Mr. Johnson
- Steve Calder as Executioner
- John Beal as Judge Vail
Background information and notes Edit
- First appearance of character Bramwell Collins. This was the second and final character played by actor Jonathan Frid in the original series.
- The '1841 Parallel Time' storyline was created because Jonathan Frid's contract was coming up for a renewal towards the end of 1970. It is reported that he walked off the set one day and refused to return until he was assured that he would get to play another character besides Barnabas. Lara Parker had also long expressed a desire to play a 'good' character. The only way the writers could think of meeting Frid's demand was by constructing the '1841 Parallel Time' storyline, with its obvious roots in Wuthering Heights. Director, and at this time Producer, Lela Swift believed that the largest contingent of the audience wanted to see Frid and Parker's characters in a happy romantic story, which is why the '1840' storyline had Barnabas finally realizing he truly loved Angelique.
- Final appearance of the characters Quentin Collins (1840), Daphne Harridge, and Gerard Stiles.
- Final time an episode is narrated by Jerry Lacy.
- Closing credits scene: Execution site.
- In Parallel Time, Bramwell's father is named Barnabas. According to Bramwell, Barnabas was driven to his grave by the rest of the Collins family. Since then they have devoted themselves to making Bramwell and his mother miserable. Justin Collins loved Bramwell, he was the one exception, but before he could give Bramwell a place in the business an accident involving Justin occurred, and from that day on Justin's sons have seen that Bramwell stayed the poor relation.
- TIMELINE: It was last night when Judah made Angelique mortal.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- A coughing from off-stage can be heard several times during the execution scene.
- Lights can be seen above Quentin head as Angelique arrives.
- In parallel time, while Bramwell and Catherine are talking, you can see either a camera or a teleprompter briefly appear on the right of the screen.
- When the execution scene was reenacted, only Gerard was seen, now you can see other cast members present.