|← 1196 →|
January 15, 1971
|We have 2 images of Dark Shadows 1196|
- The tragedy at Collinwood is now nearly complete: Daphne is married to Gerard, Quentin and Desmond are in prison again and their beheading is to be this night. A frantic Barnabas has begged Angelique to intercede on Quentin's behalf but she has refused, and her refusal has made Barnabas more aware why he can never love her, she lacks the human trait of kindness. But Angelique alone is determined to prove Barnabas wrong, and so she begins using her powers to defeat the man she fears above all, Judah Zachary, whose soul possesses Gerard Stiles.
Gerard stops Valerie and takes away her powers making her human again. Charles holds Valerie captive. In parallel time Justin Collins is ill and warns that Catherine should not marry Morgan because of something at Collinwood. Shortly before the execution Leticia visits Desmond in jail. He tells her he planned to marry her in Boston and she begs him to marry her now. He refuses to, because he knows it would place her under suspicion. They then say their marriage vows to each other, for themselves alone. Valerie kills Charles and escapes. Quentin's head is placed on the chopping block.
Memorable quotes Edit
- Angelique: Let him suffer, as he has caused suffering to so many others. And then, let him die, that this house may be rid of him forever.
- Desmond: I want you to have everything that's mine. That way, Leticia, I want you to take the money and leave Collinsport. I don't want you to work the music halls any more. I want you to have a fine life, Leticia. The kind of life you would have had with me.
- Leticia: No life is fine without you.
- Quentin: I was a fool to let Gerard get away with it. I deserve to die.
- Quentin: The only way out of this is death.
- Quentin: When I was born, I saw the light of day and when I die I want to see the black of the night.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins
- Lara Parker as Angelique Bouchard Collins / Valerie Collins / Catherine Harridge
- David Selby as Quentin Collins (1840)
- James Storm as Gerard Stiles / Judah Zachary
- John Karlen as Desmond Collins
- Nancy Barrett as Leticia Faye / Melanie Collins
- Humbert Allen Astredo as Charles Dawson
- David Hurst as Justin Collins
- Jordan Keen as Mr. Johnson
Background information and notes Edit
- First appearance of the character Justin Collins.
- Final appearance of actor Humbert Allen Astredo and the character of Charles Dawson.
- Lara Parker and Nancy Barrett each play two roles in this episode. Parker is credited for Valerie and Catherine.
- Closing credits scene: Charles Dawson's house.
- Desmond was best man at Quentin's wedding to Samantha.
- In Parallel Time, Bramwell Collins has been away for five years. He swore he would never return until he was rich.
- This character will appear for the first time in the next episode.
- TIMELINE: 45 minutes until Quentin and Desmond's execution.
Bloopers and continuity errors Edit
- A boom microphone shadow can be seen after Gerard takes the knife away from Leticia.
- James Storm flubs as he tells Angelique, "If it hadn't been for you, I would have been beheaded. I was beheaded!" Also, he refers to the year of this event as "1690", when it should be 1692.
- The jailer does not put the key completely in the lock when he locks the door behind Leticia when she visits Desmond before his scheduled execution.
- David Selby slips into his native southern accent as he leaves the jail.
- The time is 2:50am when Leticia return to Collinwood, at which point it is stated there is only twenty minutes until Quentin and Desmond's execution. This conflicts with the previous episode in which a 2:50am time was given, in which it was stated that the execution would take place at dawn.
- As Leticia returned to Collinwood both doors of the entrance open after closing the door she entered.