|← 1169 →|
December 9, 1970
|We have 3 images of Dark Shadows 1169|
- Collinwood in 1840, and Gerard Stiles, possessed by the spirit of the warlock Judah Zachary, is now master of the Great House. He is succeeding in his plans to wipe out the Collins family. Quentin Collins is on trial for his life. The charge: witchcraft. The penalty: beheading. And now Gerard, sure that Barnabas is a vampire, goes to the Old House to destroy him, while he lies vulnerable in his coffin.
Gerard bursts into the Old House in the middle of the day, looking for the secret room. To his amazement, Barnabas arrives.
Gerard is certain Barnabas had assistance in ending the vampire curse, and Barnabas doesn't deny it. Valerie shows up and coyly taunts Gerard before he angrily leaves. Barnabas asks her what the price is for lifting the curse, and for once, Valerie says she has no demands and asks only for his love. Julia doesn't believe her and refuses to take her side.
Later, Barnabas again asks Valerie for a price, and she again says she doesn't want anything other than his love. Barnabas, however, says he isn't sure if he can ever truly love her. Valerie promises him that the curse is gone forever.
At Collinwood, Julia pleads with Barnabas not to trust Valerie and is worried of losing him now that he is an "ordinary man." Barnabas promises her he will be extra careful and excuses himself so he can go for a walk in the sunlight.
That afternoon, Gerard confronts Julia in the foyer and asks her about Barnabas' daytime activities. Gerard is certain that only one Barnabas Collins has ever existed and he is determined to find the facts about him. Julia leaves and Gerard goes into the drawing room to have a drink. Gabriel rolls in and demands his weekly allowance from Gerard. Gerard gives him a check, but it is for only half of what he is supposed to receive. Gabriel is angry, but Gerard says Quentin's trial is costing a fortune and that is all he will get until it's over. Gerard storms out and Gabriel throws his check into the fireplace. After he does, he hears the sound of Daniel laughing.
Barnabas goes to the Old House and finds Valerie in the parlor. She is responding to a note from Charles, and tells Barnabas she plans to testify against Quentin because he is possessed by Judah Zachary.
Valerie reveals to Barnabas that Judah made her a witch in the year 1692 and was a member of his coven. She tells him the story of Judah's trial and how he vowed to return one day to destroy the Collins family. Barnabas, using his knowledge of 1970, manages to convince her that Judah is possessing Gerard and not Quentin. Valerie finally agrees not to testify against Quentin.
In the drawing room at Collinwood, Julia tries to calm down Gabriel, who is still frightened. Gabriel suggests that they have common interests, and that they both have suspicions about Gerard. He tells her he plans to break Daniel's will and "get rid" of Gerard. Moments later, Gabriel hears Daniel's voice telling him not to do it, but Julia can't hear it. Gabriel flees and Julia leaves the house, confused.
Upstairs in his room, the ghost of Daniel appears to Gabriel and tells him he is going to kill him.
Back in the drawing room, Gerard is playing chess when Gabriel sneaks in on foot through the secret panel. He creeps up behind Gerard and punches him in the back of the head, rendering him unconscious. Quickly, he pulls out a rope and starts to strangle him.
- Barnabas: Gerard, looking for a book?
- Gerard: (at the bookcase, looking for the secret room) Barnabas!? But it's daylight!?
- Barnabas: Of course. What else did you expect at 2 o'clock in the afternoon? If you tell me the title of the book you're looking for perhaps I can help you.
- Valerie: I ask nothing in return for your life that you can't give me willingly. All I want is your love, only if you're able to give it. I only ask that you try.
- Barnabas: I cannot say that I love you, but I understand your love for the first time since you came here from Martinique.
Dramatis personae Edit
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins
- Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman
- Louis Edmonds as Daniel Collins
- Lara Parker as Valerie Collins
- Christopher Pennock as Gabriel Collins
- James Storm as Gerard Stiles / Judah Zachary
Background information and notesEdit
- This is Barnabas and Julia's penultimate episode on-screen together until their final in 1198. They both appear in 1172 but they share no scenes.
- It is revealed that Amadeus Collins was Barnabas' great uncle.